Highly Recommended Resources
- Last Things– Resources & information for end-of- life alternative decisions
- Endwell– A movement to create a cultural shift to normalize conversations about mortality throughout life. Their platform supports new collaborations, systems, protocols, products and fosters new and existing networks of support to make the end of life more human centered for all.
- Good Ground Great Beyond– is 63 acres in the Midcoast region aimed at becoming a memorial park and scattering garden as well as a contemplative hermitage and location for a legal, public, open air cremation pyre. Their website offers further information & resource links as well.
- The Maine Chapter of Twilight Wish Foundation– 65 and older make a wish organization – giving back to deserving Maine Seniors one wish at time.
- Sea Change Chorale– A local choir that sings in efforts to promote social justice and create a sense of community in Southern Maine through music and supporting other organization’s inspiring work.
- LongWorld Services– A National Service that can assist with wrapping up all necessary details after a loved on passes – this is a pretty incredible service especially when friends/family are out of state and an estate needs to be dispersed after a death. Check it out!
- Last Dance Shrouds
- Death Talk LA
- Parting Stones– Cremains turned into beautiful memory stones
- Recompose– Ecological, Participatory and reverential death care.
- Orphan Wisdom– The wisdom & teachings of Stephen Jenkinson
Maine physician order for Life Sustaining Treatment – POLST
Advanced Directives and Conversation Starters
- The Conversation Project – multiple languages
- Five wishes
- Maine legal services
- MaineHealth Advanced Directive Form (same form as Maine Legal Services)
- Go Wish
- Morbid Curiosity– A game for opening up conversations about death, dying and end-of -life wants, wishes and desires.
- Alkaline hydrolysis – More Information
- Consumer Choice/Advocacy/General Information
- Direct Cremation
- Green burial
- Maine Green Cemetery – Cedarbrook Burial Ground, Limington, ME
- Green Burial Council
- The Manitou Project – Vermont
- A Will for the Woods
- Funeral Consumer’s Alliance of Maine– Links and Resources for Funeral Planning in Maine including specific information on Green Burial options
- Green Burial Naturally– Link to ordering a state-by-state guide to green burial
- Home Funeral Options
- Love Becomes Grief, Becomes Breath – Amanda Carr
- Justin Black @ Bereaving.net– Check out his story and his site! Below are some other recommended articles and links from him!
- Bereavement & Grief Guide– Created by Churchill Insurance to provide information on the grief process and some good ideas on how to work through elements of grief.
VSED – Voluntary Stopping of Eating & Drinking – Resources, Information & Discussion
- Thaddeus Pope on VSED – discussions, links, ethics, guides
- VSED Experience Video– Thank you Tracy & Jack for Sharing your Journey
- Severe Dementia Advanced Directives (VSED Advanced Directives)
- New York Times Article on VSED
- When Breath Becomes Air –Paul Kalanithi
- Being Mortal – Atul Guwande
- Die Wise – Stephen Jenkinson
- Cathy Zheutlin – Living While Dying
- Immortal We Aint
- Caitlin Doughty– Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs?
Worth Watching/Listening To
- “The House of Mourning” by Kate Braestrup . (13:20, https://themoth.org/storytellers/kate-braestrup)
- Synchronized Swimming Funeral – Re-thinking Funerals!
- “What Makes Life Worth Living in the Face of Death” by Lucy Kalanithi (Her husband Paul wrote the book “Breath Becomes Air”, 16:10, https://www.ted.com/talks/lucy_kalanithi_what_makes_life_worth_living_in_the_face_of_death/)
- The Fish” poem by Mary Oliver (0:35 – 1:30, https://vimeo.com/11384221) The first reading on a 45 minute video
- “Acceptance of Death” by Alan Watts (3:56, https://youtu.be/qK1BJkBJdtY)
- In the Parlor” by Heidi Boucher (8:59, https://vimeo.com/43712288) This is the trailer.
- “Helping a Friend Through Grief” by Caitlin Doughty (6:58, http://www.orderofthegooddeath.com/helping-friend-grief)
- Stephen Jenkinson –Grief Walker
- “The Meaning of Death” by Stephen Jenkinson . (6:12, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjm8gWY3etg)
- “The Coffinmaker” by Marcus Daly (3:40, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvmVGFA-AzA)
- “The Art of Natural Death Care” by Katelyn LaGrega (27:38, https://vimeo.com/220346382
Maine Hospice/Palliative Care – General Resources & Home Hospice Services
- Androscoggin Home Care & Hospice
- Beacon Hospice/Amedysis
- Hospice of Southern Maine & Gosnell
- Maine Hospice Council
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHCPO)
- Northern Light Home Care & Hospice – Formerly VNA
Maine & New Hampshire Hospice Houses
- Gosnell Memorial Hospice House– Scarborough, Maine (Part of Hospice of Southern Maine)
- Androscoggin Hospice House– Lewiston, Maine (Part of Androscoggin Home Health & Hospice)
- Sussman House– Rockport, Maine (Part of Androscoggin Home Health & Hospice)
- Aroostook House of Comfort– Presque Isle, Maine (Part of Northern Light Health)
Other Misc Maine and National Resources & Links to Services
- University of Maine Center on Aging
- Southern Maine Agency on Aging– Links for Information on Local Programs and Resources for Seniors
- Maine Council on Aging
- Tristate Learning Collaborative
- End of Life University – Karen Wyatt
- New York Open Center
- International End of Life Doula Association
- Death Cafe– talk about it!
- Twilight Wish– 65 and older make a wish foundation
- Sea Change Chorale– A local choir that sings in efforts to promote social justice and create a sense of community.
- Harbour Singers– A Choir Group of singers who bring music to the bedside of those on hospice
- Portland Wheelers– Portland Wheelers is focused on people living with significant disabilities and our unique way of getting them outdoors for therapeutic recreation, adventure, and fun.
- Do it For The Love– A wish granting charity that works to connect people with terminal or life-threatening illness with their favorite musicians and artists.
- Kate Braestrup – Grief, Perspectives on Loss & Death
Death With Dignity – Legislation & Discussion
- Maine Death With Dignity Website–
- Links to Necessary Death With Dignity forms for Patients & Healthcare Providers– click on Forms and scroll down the page